The last time we made stuffed shells with tofu-ricotta, we loved them so much we were eager to make them again. However, this time we decided to make a pumpkin filling because it’s autumn, which of course feels like the perfect time for a pumpkin-based pasta dish. We ate these shells for dinner, and they were more than filling, but they would also make a great side dish for Thanksgiving.
Vegan Ricotta, Pumpkin & Kale Stuffed Shells
- 1/2 box of stuffed shells
- 1 package firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 large bunch basil, rinsed
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 can pumpkin
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp sea salt, black pepper, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes
- 1 cup vegan cheddar
For the vegan ricotta
For the stuffing
- Heat oven to 350º. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a food processor, combine the ingredients for the vegan ricotta and blend until smooth.
- In a pan over medium heat, simmer onions and kale in olive oil and a tbsp of water for about 30 minutes, covered, checking periodically so it doesn't burn.
- Add garlic, mushrooms and spices and sauté for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in pumpkin.
- Layer a small amount of vegan ricotta on the bottom of an oven safe dish. Stuff shells with pumpkin mixture and place in a single layer over the vegan ricotta. Top with more vegan ricotta, making sure to get in between the shells, and add vegan mozzarella on top of that. Bake for 30 minutes until the cheese is melted.
Leave a Reply