There’s this Thai restaurant down the street from us that we go to frequently that makes a pretty tasty red curry. They’ve inspired me to learn how to make Thai red curry and perfect my own recipe, so this is what I came up with.
After doing a lot of research, I came to the conclusion that Thai red curry is a rather liberal dish that is open to interpretation, with the exception of a few constants, namely Thai red curry paste (either store bought or a homemade equivalent), coconut milk, and peppers; so those are the rules I stuck to. Other than that, I let my imagination and palate guide me. You could follow this recipe to a T, or you could use any kind of veggies and/or meat substitutes you like. Enjoy!
Thai-style red coconut curry mixed with stir-fried "chicken" and veggies, served over brown rice.
- 2 pkg seitan or Click Here for our chicken-style seitan recipe
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrot
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- Super sweet mini peppers, 1 of each color (or bell peppers), sliced
- 3 Thai basil leaves
- Rice vinegar (or white vinegar) to taste
- 2 tsp ground chili paste (optional)
- Dried chilies or crushed red pepper (optional)
- Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil over medium heat in a large sauce pan.
- Add onions and stir... then add garlic, ginger, and basil leaves, and stir some more. Let simmer until lightly browned.
- Add red curry paste and stir with the other ingredients until a thick mixture forms. Add extra oil if necessary.
- Add coconut milk and stir thoroughly until the milk is no longer white, then add a splash of soy sauce and stir again. Add ground chili paste and/or dried chili peppers to make the dish spicy (optional). Let simmer for 10 min.
- In another skillet, heat 1 tbsp of coconut oil.
- Add seitan, peppers, carrots, and a splash of soy sauce, and stir-fry until tender.
- Combine stir-fry with curry and stir.
- Add a splash of rice vinegar to taste and serve over rice or noodles.
Leave a Reply