We been getting excellent king oyster mushrooms from our local farmers market, and doing some tasty and interesting things with them you can’t really do with other types of mushrooms; like making vegan scallops. It turns out, when you prepare king oyster mushrooms in a way scallops are often prepared, like scampi, they turn out surprisingly similar.
Scallop scampi by itself didn’t sound quite filling enough, so we decided to keep it classic, and serve them over a bed of linguine. We tossed the linguine in lemon, vegan butter, olive oil, and mixed veggies, and it was outstanding with scallops on top.
Sauteed king oyster mushroom over a lemon-garlic linguine pasta with cherry tomatoes and wilted greens.
- 4 large king oyster mushrooms
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup olives
- 2 cups fresh greens (we used broccoli rabe leaves)
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp vegan butter
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 box of linguine noodles, cooked according to package directions until al dente
- Slice mushrooms into 1 inch thick slices and soak in a bowl of water for 1 hour.
- Once they are done soaking, dry them off with a paper towel.
- Heat half of oil and half of butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and saute about 10 minutes on each side until browned.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the rest of the butter and oil and stir in the garlic.
- Saute for just a minute and then add the tomatoes.
- After another minute or so, add the greens and toss to combine.
- Once the greens have wilted, add the noodles, oregano, salt and pepper and squeeze the lemon on top.
- Toss together with tongs and serve on a plate topped with the mushroom "scallops".
Our only regret is that we should have marinated the mushrooms in seaweed overnight to give them that fishy flavor, or even added some kelp to the linguine. Otherwise, everything else was perfect. Next time we make a faux seafood dish, we'll definitely incorporate seaweed to give it a truly authentic flavor.
Leave a Reply