Nutella is a popular Italian brand name for a hazelnut-butter that has become synonymous with chocolate spreads. It’s probably safe to say that when most people think of a chocolate topping, Nutella comes to mind. Unfortunately, the tasty treat is not vegan because it contains skimmed milk powder. However, there are other brands of chocolate-hazelnut spread that do not contain any dairy or other animal-based ingredients, which means they are 100 percent vegan.
WHY NUTELLA IS NOT VEGAN
Since Nutella is a hazelnut spread, it’s easy to assume that it’s fine for a vegan to eat. However, it does contain other ingredients that need to be avoided. As stated above, it contains skimmed milk powder and also sugar. If you don’t quite understand the problem with the contents in the spread, we’ll go over some need-to-know info.
SKIM MILK POWDER
Although the dairy in Nutella is powdered, it’s still derived from cows. Skim milk powder is created by removing water from pasteurized skim milk. It only contains 1.5 percent more milkfat than the liquid version, but the drying process does not diminish the presence of animal contents, so it’s best to stay away.
The Nutella website states that it’s primarily sourced from sugar beets. However, it doesn’t specifically state whether it’s refined sugar. Natural carbon, also known as bone char, is primarily used by the sugar industry as a decolorizing filter which helps to obtain its white color. The char comes from the bones of cattle that were slaughtered outside of the United States. Nonetheless, there are some sugars that are vegan.
My Latest Videos
VEGAN CHOCOLATE-HAZELNUT SPREADS
If you’re looking for a vegan alternative to Nutella, you may want to try one of the below brands. Most of them use the same primary ingredients as Nutella – hazelnuts, palm oil, and cocoa – so they taste exactly like the brand name even though they don’t contain any dairy. Some would say the vegan versions taste better than Nutella.
NUTIVA HAZELNUT SPREAD
Nutiva is a certified organic, non-GMO, Vegan Hazelnut Spread is not raw or organic, but it is vegan. You can buy it on Amazon here.
Justin’s Nut Butter
Justin’s Nut Butter Natural Chocolate Hazelnut Butter is vegan spread that uses some organic ingredients and comes in a PETE recyclable jar. You can buy it Amazon here.
NUTELLA VEGAN RECIPES
There are tons of delicious hazelnut spreads that you can buy with non-dairy milk and no refined sugar. However, you can make your own version of Nutella at home. Not only that, but the DIY version lasts for at least a month or more in the refrigerator!
VEGAN HOMEMADE NUTELLA
- 2 teaspoons organic vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup raw cacao powder
- ⅔ cups non dairy almond milk
- 2 teaspoons organic vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups organic raw hazelnuts
- ⅓ cup organic maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons organic melted coconut oil
- Place raw hazelnuts in 8x 8-inch glass cookware and roast them at 400 degrees for about ten minutes.
- Give the roasted nuts time to completely cool.
- By hand, peel off the skin of the hazelnuts.
- Gather all of the ingredients into a food processor.
- Blend until smooth.
- Check the consistency of the spread as you mix. Add more non-dairy milk if needed.
- Pour the contents in an airtight glass container and store in the fridge.
If you’d like a nut butter with a more chocolate flavor, check out this recipe:
DARK CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT SPREAD
- 4 ounces of vegan dark chocolate
- ¾ cup of hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 4 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cacao powder
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roast the nuts in the oven for approximately ten minutes.
- Melt the chocolate with the coconut oil over low heat (stir until smooth).
- In a food processor, grind the hazelnuts with the non-fat milk for roughly four minutes.
- Add in the liquid sweetener, cacao powder, and vanilla to the mix.
- Pour in the chocolate and oil.
- Blend until smooth.
- Fill up a glass jar and store it in a fridge.
TASTY VEGAN NUTELLA FOOD RECIPES
Now that you have information about vegan Nutella products and recipes, it’s time to enjoy some yummy breakfast and dessert with it. There are so many ways to use hazelnut spread other than putting it on toast. Not to mention, it doesn’t take very long to make the spread. If you have a blender, you’re good to go. Take a look at these mouth-watering recipes below:
NUTELLA CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
This creamy dessert takes hazelnut spread to the next level, and it’s extremely easy to make. Plus, it only requires three ingredients!
- 6 ounces of dairy-free, semi-sweet, or dark chocolate
- ¾ cup of dairy-free hazelnut-flavored creamer
- ¼ cup of hazelnut butter
- Add several cups of ice into a bowl, and place a smaller bowl into the ice.
- Softly melt the chocolate with the creamer in a saucepan over low heat while whisking the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the small bowl over the ice.
- Stir the contents by hand or with a mixer.
- Place the dessert into glass dishes and top it with coconut whipped cream.
- Put a sprinkle of hazelnuts over the top, if desired.
VEGAN CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT CREPES
Make your morning meal sweeter with this scrumptious breakfast. Vegan nut butter makes everything taste better, and it’s a good way to spice up your daily grub. If you’re a crepe lover, this meal is for you!
- 1 cup of whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup of water
- ¾ cup of plain unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons vegan sugar
- ¼ cup melted vegan margarine
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of your homemade vegan hazelnut spread
- 2 cups of fresh, sliced strawberries
- Whisk all of the crepe ingredients into a bowl and refrigerate for 60 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the fridge and mix them once again.
- Heat a pan over medium heat for roughly one minute and grease the skillet with vegan margarine.
- Place ¼ cup of batter into the pan to spread it to the edges of the skillet.
- Put the heat on medium-high and cook the crepe for one minute.
- Once the crepe is slightly brown, it’s done. Repeat the process.
- Place the crepe on a plate and top with homemade vegan hazelnut spread and strawberries.
- Serve immediately!
FINAL THOUGHTS ON VEGAN NUTELLA
Let’s be honest, you could probably sit and eat an entire container of vegan hazelnut spread. But before you indulge on spoonfuls of decadence, try one of these scrumptious recipes. The options for vegan Nutella desserts are endless! The great thing about being vegan is that you don’t have to sacrifice taste and you can pretty much make a healthy version of anything. Now that you’ve learned about these awesome products and recipes, how do you plan to enjoy vegan Nutella?
Want to find out if other popular food items are vegan? Check out our Is It Vegan? category.