I’ve been a huge fan of BLTs for decades, and I’ve made this classic sandwich more times than I can count. One of the main things I’ve learned from making countless BLTs – of both the traditional and vegan variety – is that in order to surpass the ordinary, you must use great ingredients and the right techniques, such as pan frying the bread. It’s like the difference between a grilled cheese on two pieces of generic, flavorless white bread, or a grilled cheese on tasty artisan bread.
Vegan Tempeh Bacon “BLT”
- 2 slices of whole grain bread – we used Ezekiel bread
- 4 slices of smoked tempeh
- Fresh lettuce and tomato
- 1 tbsp vegan margarine
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Your choice of mustard, ketchup, vegan mayonnaise, or anything else you like -- I like Louisiana hot sauce on mine : )
- In a nonstick frying pan or skillet, melt margarine with olive oil over medium heat.
- Fry the smoked tempeh on medium heat for about 3 minutes on each side or until it brown and crispy. Set aside on a paper towel when done.
- Place each slice of bread in the same pan and fry on both sides until golden brown.
- Assemble the sandwich.
Leave a Reply