This tofu, pesto, and avocado sandwich is amazing!!! It’s so simple to make and if I were trying to impress my non-vegan friends, this is how I would do it. It’s been a few days since I made this sandwich and I’ve been wanting another one each day, but sadly we are out of these groceries. It’s beans and rice time until we go to the store again. Here’s the recipe:
Vegan Pesto Tofu Avocado Sandwich
- Fresh Baked Bread (we used a nice loaf of Ciabatta bread)
- Tofu (pressed and thinly sliced)
- Avocado (sliced)
- Vegan Mozzarella Cheese (I used Trader Joe's)
- 3 cups arugula leaves
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds (I love sunflower seeds because they are inexpensive and taste just as good as pine nuts)
- 1 tsp refined coconut oil
- Season tofu with spices of your choice (I used smoked paprika, rosemary, sea salt, and black pepper). Place in a single layer on a greased baking pan. Bake at 400º for 20 minutes, flipping over once.
- Prepare pesto by adding arugula, lemon juice, salt, sunflower seeds and oil to food processor. Process for 10-20 seconds until it is coarsely ground or until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Once tofu and pesto are done, assemble your sandwich in the following order: bread, pesto, tofu, avocado, mozzarella, pesto, bread. Spread coconut oil or vegan butter on the outside of the bread and fry in a non-stick pan over medium heat until golden brown on both sides.
We hope you enjoyed this recipe. If you’d like to find more recipes like this one, check out more of VeganFoodLover.com.