We love brussels sprouts. They’re one of the healthiest foods on Earth, and we think they taste great. Brussels sprouts are a good source of dietary fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. They also contain some protein and a small amount of carbs, but very few calories and virtually no fat – less than 0.5g per cup. You should definitely eat them as often as you can. If you’re not too keen on the way brussels sprouts taste, you might want to give this gratin a try because it’s packed with intense flavors. Smoky tempeh-bacon, sautéed garlic and onions, crispy bread crumbs and a cheesy sauce make these sprouts taste incredible.
- 1 tsp oil
- 6 slices tempeh bacon, chopped
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, sliced in half
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Liquid smoke
- 1 cup unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add onions, tempeh bacon, garlic, and a few drops of liquid smoke, and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Stir in Brussels sprouts and sauté another 10 minutes until browned.
- Add sea salt, red pepper, and flour and stir until the flour is absorbed.
- Add soy milk and nutritional yeast and reduce heat, stirring until it begins to thicken.
- Add Brussels sprouts mixture to an oven safe dish and top with bread crumbs.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown on top.
Leave a Reply