Polenta is great because it’s tasty, filling, easy to make, and inexpensive. It’s basically just boiled cornmeal that you can turn into a dough/bread, that you can then use to make pies and tarts and all sorts of stuff. This is a simple polenta tart topped with asparagus, sauteed onions and garlic, basil, and tomatoes. Enjoy!
Tomato, Asparagus & Basil Polenta Tart
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 3 tsp sea salt
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 bunch asparagus, rinsed and cut into 1 in. pieces
- 1 large handful basil
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp sea salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large pot, add water and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add salt, oil and cornmeal and stir well.
- Slowly simmer for 30 minutes until cornmeal is cooked.
- Meanwhile, saute onion, asparagus and garlic in olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar and continue to cook until the veggies are al dente and add basil. Remove from heat.
- Once the cornmeal is done, layer half of it on the bottom of a greased baking dish.
- Add a layer of the veggies and sliced tomatoes and then another layer of cornmeal, topped by a final layer of veggies and tomato slices.
- Bake for 30 minutes and garnish with more basil.
Leave a Reply