This is one of the best pasta dishes I’ve had in a very long time. It might be one of the best pasta dishes I’ve have had period. For years, Taryn has been making this great tofu-ricotta that we use as a cheese substitute for many of our Italian dishes. The other night she suggested using it as a filling for stuffed shells, and I thought that was a fantastic idea. That’s what we ended up doing, and the results were outstanding.
Tofu-Ricotta Stuffed Shells
- 1/2 box jumbo pasta shells
- 1 package firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large bunch spinach
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup vegan mozzarella
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Cook pasta shells according to package directions until al dente.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Saute onions in a pan with oil over medium heat until onions are translucent (about 10 minutes). Add spinach and cook for 2 minutes until wilted and remove from heat.
- In a food processor, blend together the tofu, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, lemon juice, and olive oil until smooth. I usually taste it and add a bunch more spices or herbs that I have like basil, rosemary, thyme etc.
- In a bowl, mix together tofu mixture with spinach and onions. Stuff shells with this mixture.
- In an oven safe dish, pour a thin layer of the pasta sauce. Place stuffed shells in the pan on top of the sauce in a single layer.
- Add sauce to the top of the stuffed shells and top with vegan cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Top with green onions.
We hope you enjoyed this Vegan Stuffed Shells and Tofu-Ricotta recipe. If you’d like to find more recipes like this one, check out more of VeganFoodLover.com.
Leave a Reply