The other night we came home from a bar after having a few too many and were so hungry! We had a bunch of cilantro and basil that needed to be used, and a bunch of fresh veggies, so we decided to make a quick stir-fry with rice noodles. This is seriously the easiest way I know how to make stir-fry, but it’s so good, especially when you’re craving Chinese food late at night. As vegetables we used broccoli, cauliflower, basil, cilantro, red onion, garlic, and green onion, but you can use any veggies you like.
- 1/4 package rice noodles
- 1/2 block firm tofu, drained, pressed and cubed
- 1/4 cup of each vegetable.
- 1 cup soy sauce, divided
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tsp sriracha (adjust to taste)
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- Cook rice noodles according to package directions. See notes below.
- In a wok, or nonstick pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Toss tofu cubes in a bit of the soy sauce and allow to rest until the oil is hot. Carefully add them to the pan and allow to cook until all sides are brown (about 20 minutes), leaving the remaining soy sauce in a bowl.
- While the tofu is cooking, you can make the sauce by stirring together the rest of the soy sauce, sesame oil, peanut butter, sriracha and cornstarch, adding a little bit of hot water if necessary to melt the peanut butter.
- Remove tofu from pan, and set aside, and add onions to the pan, cooking for 5 minutes. Add garlic and the rest of the veggies, except for basil, green onions, and cilantro. Quickly stir-fry the veggies for a few minutes until they are al-dente.
- Once the veggies are done, add the tofu to the pan and toss together. Add the noodles and then the sauce and toss the whole mixture together until the noodles and veggies are evenly coated. Then add the basil and cilantro and cook until the sauce thickens.
- Top with green onions before serving.
As soon as the noodles are done, rinse them in a colander with cold water to remove excess starch and to ensure they stop cooking. Rice noodles are tricky because they clump together quite a bit, so add some oil to the pot to prevent that. Also, they can become overcooked quite fast, so make sure you are watching your time and drain them as soon as they are done.
We hope you enjoyed this vegan stir-fry recipe. If you’d like to find more recipes like this one, check out more of VeganFoodLover.com.
Leave a Reply