During our last week at our old apartment, I was craving a creamy pasta dish, like I always do, but I only had a few ingredients left in the fridge. I had to think about how I could get that same satisfying taste of an alfredo-like sauce without going to the store and I was lucky enough to have one ripe avocado and a half a block of tofu left. I whipped up this delicious sauce in no time, and though it isn’t the most visually appealing dish, it tasted so good, I just had to share it. Avocado lovers will definitely get joy out of this decadent, mouth-watering pasta that just so happens to be healthy too.
Penne pasta smothered in a creamy spinach-avocado sauce.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 block tofu, drained and pressed
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 6 basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 cups penne pasta
- Add ingredients for the sauce to a food processor and blend until completely smooth.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Drain, rinse and set aside.
- In the same pot, add sauce and cook for a few minutes until hot.
- Stir in pasta and serve immediately.
This sauce is incredibly easy to make and to customize. I was trying to use up the rest of the ingredients in our fridge before our move, so I added what I had on hand. But I think this pasta would be really tasty with some sundried tomatoes, or even fresh tomatoes and peas would be good too.
Leave a Reply