I used to work at a fancy restaurant that made this special kind of french toast that they caramelized in the oven instead of frying in a pan – like a casserole. At the time, it was one of my favorite things on their menu, but their version was not vegan since it was made the traditional way with eggs and dairy. This caramelized french toast recipe is my vegan-ized version of that. Enjoy!
Vegan french toast caramelized in the oven. Topped with fresh raspberries, pecans, and maple syrup.
- 1 loaf of french bread, sliced into 2" thick slices
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1 cup soy milk
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Top with 1/4 cup chopped pecans, raspberries, and maple syrup
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Blend the cashews, soy milk, cinnamon, sugar and coconut oil until smooth.
- Place bread in a baking dish and cover with cashew sauce, making sure to get in between the slices and top with pecans.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the bread is golden brown.
- Top with raspberries, nuts, and maple syrup.
Other toppings you might want to try: strawberries, powdered sugar, ground cinnamon, fresh squeezed lemon juice, and coconut cream.
Leave a Reply